Open Access Subscription AccessTotal views : 75
Breathing Pattern in Healthy Preterm Babies
This observational study was conducted on 200 healthy preterm babies delivered in the department of Obstetrics and handled by the Neonatology section of Pediatrics department with the aim to study the breathing pattern in healthy preterm babies and to compare pattern of breathing with gestational age, birth weight and other relevant parameters. The breathing pattern was observed in all preterm babies starting from day 3 of life till the hospital stay. It was found that with increasing gestational age the incidence of Normal breathing increased while the incidence of Periodic breathing and Apnea decreased(table 1). Also a highly significant correlation between birth weight and breathing pattern was found with increase in incidence of periodic breathing and incidence of apneas in low birth weight babies (table 2). The incidence of periodic breathing in healthy Preterm infants was found to be 42% and rest 58% had normal breathing during the period of observation. The incidence of apnea of prematurity in preterm babies was found to be 5.5% (table 3).
- Control of Breathing and Abnormal Breathing Patterns. Available at:http://d3jonline.tripod.com/20-Pulmonary_II/Control_of_Breathing_and _ Abnormal_Breathing_Patterns.htm.
- Vaughan D. Newborn Breathing Patterns. 2012. Available at: http://www.santanvalley.com/news/ health-news/item/8190-newborn-breathing-patterns.
- Steer P: The epidemiology of preterm labour. BJOG. 2005;112Suppl 1:1-3.
- Fenner A, Schalk U, Hoenicke H, Wendenburg A, Roehling T. Periodic breathing in premature and neonatal babies: Incidence, Breathing Pattern,Respiratory Gas Tentions, Response to Changes in the Composition of Ambient Air. Pediatr Res. 1973;7 (4) :174-83.
- Weintraub Z, Cates D, Kwiatkowski K, Al-Hathol K, Hussain A, Rigatto H. The morphology of periodic breathing in infants and adults. Respiratory Physiol. 2001;127:173-84.
- Engoren M, Courtney SE, Habib RH. Effect of weight and age on respiratory complexity in premature neonates. J Appl Physiol.2009;106 (3) :76673.
- Hoch B, Michael B. Central apnoea and periodic breathing in preterm twins compared with preterm singletons. Somnologie. 2004:8 (1) :20-24.
- Bouterline-Young HJ, Smith CA. Respiration of full-term and premature infants. Amer. J. Dis. Childhood 1950;80 (5) :753-66.
- Graham BD, Reardon HS, Wilson JL, Asao MU, Baumann ML. Physiologic and chemical response of premature infants to oxygen-enriched atmosphere. Pediatrics 1950;6 (1) : 55-71.
- Martin RJ, Abu Shaweesh JM, Baird TM. Apnoea of prematurity. Paediatr Respir Rev. 2004;5 Suppl 1:S377-S382.
- There are currently no refbacks.