Correlation of Vitamin D Level with Different Components of Metabolic Syndrome
Objecive: The objective of the study to investigate the correlation between vitamin D level with different components of metabolic syndrome.
Patients and Methods: An observational cross-sectional study on 100 patients (male=55 and female=45), age range 30-60 year, was performed. Patients underwent physical examination and biochemical testing. Patients included who fulfill the IDF criteria of metabolic syndrome for South Asians.Analysis was performed using SPSS Statistical package for windows (SPSS VERSION 20).
Results: Only 6% of the subjects had optimal level of vitamin D level and 67% of subjects are deficient. There was highly significant inverse association between waist circumference, BMI, with vitamin D level in both male and female (p-value 0.001). Increased level of triglyceride level was associated with low vitamin D level (p=0.02) and could not find any association between HDL and vitamin D level (p=0.125). There were inverse association of fasting blood glucose and HbA1C with vitamin D level (p-value 0.014 and <0.001 respectively). No association between systolic and diastolic blood pressure was reported in the study(p-value 0.778 and p-0.563 respectively).
Conclusion: Our results suggest correlation of vitamin D level with some components (waist circumference, serum triglyceride and fasting plasma glucose) of metabolic syndrome.
- Hypponen E, Laara E, Reunanen A, Jarvelin MR, Virtanen SM. Intake of vitamin D and risk of type 1 diabetes: a birthcohort study. Lancet. Nov 3 2001; 358(9292):1500-1503.
- Arnson Y, Amital H, Shoenfeld Y. Vitamin D and autoimmunity: new aetiological and therapeutic considerations. Ann Rheum Dis. Sep 2007; 66(9):1137-1142.
- Maki KC, Rubin MR, Wong LG, et al. Serum 23-hydroxyvitamin D is independently associated with highdensity lipoprotein cholesterol and the metabolic syndrome in men and women. J ClinLipidology. 2009; 3:289-296.
- Hypponen E, Boucher BJ, Berry DJ, Power C. 25-hydroxyvitamin D, IGF-1, and metabolic syndrome at 45 years of age: a cross-sectional study in the 1958 British Birth Cohort. Diabetes. Feb 2008; 57(2):298-305.
- Judd SE, Nanes MS, Ziegler TR, Wilson PW, Tangpricha V. Optimal vitamin D status attenuates the age-associated increase in systolic blood pressure in white Americans: results from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Am J ClinNutr. Jan 2008; 87(1):136-14
- Ganji V, Milone C, Cody MM, McCarthy F, Wang YT. Serum vitamin D concentrations are related to depression in young adult US population: the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Int Arch Med. Nov 11 2010; 3(1):29-30.
- Hoogendijk WJ, Lips P, Dik MG, Deeg DJ, Beekman AT, Penninx BW. Depression is associated with decreased 25-hydroxyvitamin D and increased parathyroid hormone levels in older adults. Arch Gen Psychiatry. May 2008; 65(5):508-512.
- Spina CS, Tangpricha V, Uskokovic M, Adorinic L, Maehr H, Holick MF. Vitamin D and cancer. Anticancer Res. JulAug 2006; 26(4A):2515-2524.
- Reis JP, von Muhlen D, Miller ER, 3rd, Michos ED, Appel LJ. Vitamin D Status and Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in the United States Adolescent Population. Pediatrics. Aug 3 2009:e371-e379.
- Ford ES, Ajani UA, McGuire LC, Liu S. Concentrations of serum vitamin D and the metabolic syndrome among U.S. adults. Diabetes Care. May 2005; 28(5):1228-1230.
- Alvarez JA, Ashraf A. Role of vitamin d in insulin secretion and insulin sensitivity for glucose homeostasis. Int J Endocrinol. 2010; 2010:Article ID 351385.
- Duncan GE, Li SM, Zhou XH. Prevalence and trends of a metabolic syndrome phenotype among u.s. Adolescents, 1999-2000. Diabetes Care. Oct 2004; 27(10):2438-2443.
- Cook S, Weitzman M, Auinger P, Nguyen M, Dietz WH. Prevalence of a metabolic syndrome phenotype in adolescents: findings from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1994. Arch PediatrAdolesc Med. Aug 2003; 157(8):821-827.
- Thivel D, Malina RM, Isacco L, Aucouturier J, Meyer M, Duche P. Metabolic syndrome in obese children and adolescents: dichotomous or continuous? MetabSyndrRelatDisord. Dec 2009; 7(6):549-555.
- Lee S, Bacha F, Gungor N, Arslanian S. Comparison of different definitions of pediatric metabolic syndrome: relation to abdominal adiposity, insulin resistance, adiponectin, and inflammatory biomarkers. J Pediatr. Feb 2008; 152(2):177184.
- Teegarden D, Donkin SS. Vitamin D: emerging new roles in insulin sensitivity. Nutr Res Rev. Jun 2009; 22(1):82-92.
- Chiu KC, Chu A, Go VL, Saad MF. Hypovitaminosis D is associated with insulin resistance and beta cell dysfunction. Am J ClinNutr. May 2004; 79(5):820-825.
- Huh SY, Gordon CM. Vitamin D deficiency in children and adolescents: epidemiology, impact and treatment. Rev EndocrMetabDisord. Jun 2008; 9(2):161-170.
- Reinehr T, de Sousa G, Alexy U, Kersting M, Andler W. Vitamin D status and parathyroid hormone in obese children before and after weight loss. Eur J Endocrinol. Aug 2007; 157(2):225-232.
- Oliveira AC, Oliveira AM, Adan LF, Oliveira NF, Silva AM, Ladeia AM. Creactive protein and metabolic syndrome in youth: a strong relationship? Obesity(Silver Spring). May 2008; 16(5):1094-1098.
- Holick MF, Schnoes HK, Deluca HF, Suda T, Cousins RJ (1971). “Isolation and identification of 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol. A metabolite of vitamin D active in intestine”. Biochemistry10 (14): 2799–804.
- Reis JP, von Muhlen D, Miller ER, 3rd. Relation of 25-hydroxyvitamin D and parathyroid hormone levels with metabolic syndrome among US adults. Eur JEndocrinol. Jul 2008; 159(1):41-48.
- Baz-Hecht M, Goldfine AB. The impact of vitamin D deficiency on diabetes and cardiovascular risk. CurrOpinEndocrinol Diabetes Obes. Apr 2010; 17(2):113-119.
- Szmitko PE, Verma S. C-reactive protein and the metabolic syndrome: useful addition to the cardiovascular risk profile? J CardiometabSyndr. Winter 2006; 1(1):66-69; quiz 70-61.
- Ford ES, Giles W, Mokdad A. Increasing prevalence of the metabolic syndrome among US adults. Diabetes Care 2004; 27:2444–2449.
- Lind L, Wengle B, Wide L, Sorensen OH, Ljunghall S. Hypertension in primary hyperparathyroidism--reduction of blood pressure by long-term treatment with vitamin D (alphacalcidol). A double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Am J Hypertens. Oct 1988; 1(4 Pt 1):397-402.
- Fauci, Anthony S. (2008). Harrison’s principles of internal medicine. McGraw-Hill Medical.
- Mai XM, Chen Y, Camargo CA Jr, Langhammer A CrossSectional and Prospective Cohort Study of Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Level and Obesity in Adults: The HUNT Study Am J Epidemiol. 2012 Feb 6
- Skaaby T ,Husemoen LL, Pisinger C, Jorgensen T, et al. Vitamin D Status and Changes in Cardiovascular Risk Factors: A Prospective Study of a General Population Cardiology. 2012; 123(1): 62-70
- Xiao Yin, Qiang Sun, Xiuping Zhang, Yong Lu, Chao Sun, Ying Cui and Shaolian Wang .Serum 25(OH)D is inversely associated with metabolic syndrome risk profile among urban middle-aged Chinese population.Yin et al. Nutrition Journal 2012, 11:68 http://www.nutritionj.com/content/ 11/1/68
- Ling Lu, Zhijie Yu, An Pan, Frank B. Hu, Oscar H. Franco, Huaixing Li, Xiaoying Li, XilinYang,Yan Chen, Xu Lin. Plasma 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Concentration and Metabolic Syndrome Among Middle-Aged and Elderly Chinese Individuals. Diabetes Care, Volume 32, Number 7, July 2009
- Hossein-Nezhad ,A., KhoshniatNikoo, M., Maghbooli, Z.,Karimi, F., Mirzaei, K., Hosseini A. ,Larijani, B. Relationship between serum Vitamin D concentration and Metabolic Syndrome among Iranian Adults Population. Endocrinology and Metabolism Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences,Tehran, Iran Received 26 May 2009; Revised 31 Oct 2009; Accepted 4 Nov 2009
- Anne-Thea McGill, Joanna M Stewart, Fiona E Lithander, Caroline M Strik1 and Sally D Poppitt. Relationships of low serum vitamin D3 with anthropometry and markers of the metabolic syndrome and diabetes in overweight and obesity Nutrition Journal 2008, 7:4 doi:10.1186/1475-2891-7-4
- Christine Dalgård, Maria Skaalum Petersen, Pal Weihe, and Philippe Grandjean. DMSC Vitamin D Status in Relation to Glucose Metabolism and Type 2 Diabetes in Septuagenarians Received November 3, 2010. Accepted March 22, 2011. © 2011 by the American Diabetes Association
- DamlaCoksertKilic, Gonca Tamer, SafiyeArik and AytekinOguz Metabolic Syndrome is More Common in Patients with 25 Hydroxy Vitamin D Levels Less than 10 ng/ml http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/scientificreports.
- Brauser D. Binge Eating More Likely to Lead to Metabolic Syndrome in Men. Medscape Medical News. Available at http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/811732. Accessed October 7, 2013.
- Udo T, McKee SA, White MA, Masheb RM, Barnes RD, Grilo CM. Sex differences in biopsychosocial correlates of binge eating disorder: a study of treatment-seeking obese adults in primary care setting. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. Aug 19 2013; [Medline].
- There are currently no refbacks.