Open Access Subscription AccessTotal views : 79
Screening and Diagnosis of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus
Women with history of gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) are at several folds increased risk of developing type 2 DM, metabolic syndrome, coronary artery disease and stroke. Off springs could also become susceptible to various health issues. Early diagnosis and timely management is very important. Therefore screening and diagnosis of pregnant women for GDM is essential. There are various screening tests and controversies exist as to which is the best method for diagnosis. According to this article the single step screening-cum-diagnostic test recommended by Diabetes in Pregnancy Study Group in India (DIPSI) appears to be the most feasible, economical and evidence based, particularly for high risk Indian population.
- American Diabetes Association. Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus. Diabetes Care. 2011 Jan; 34(Suppl 1): S62–S69.
- Hunt KJ, Schuller KL. The increasing prevalence of diabetes in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2007; 32(2):173-vii.
- Alfadhli EM. Gestational diabetes mellitus. Saudi Med J.2015;36(4):399-406.
- Buchanan TA, Xiang AH, Page KA. Gestational diabetes mellitus: Risks and management during and after pregnancy. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2012;8(11):639-49.
- Hollander MH, Paarlberg KM, Huisjes AJ. Gestational diabetes: a review of the current literature and guidelines. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2007;62(2):125-36.
- Anjalakshi C, Balaji V, Balaji MS, Ashalata S, Suganthi S, Arthi T et al. A single test procedure to diagnose gestational diabetes mellitus. Acta Diabetol. 2009; 46(1):51-4.
- Metzger BE, Buchanan TA, Coustan DR, de Leiva A, Dunger DB, Hadden DR et al. Summary and recommendations of the Fifth International Workshop- Conference on gestational diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care. 2007; 30 Suppl 2:S251-60.
- O’Sullivan JB, Mahan CM. Criteria for the oral glucose tolerance test in pregnancy. Diabetes 1964; 13:278-85.
- National Diabetes Data Group. Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and other categories of glucose intolerance. Diabetes. 1979; 28:10391057
- Carpenter MW, Coustan DR: Criteria for screening tests of gestational diabetes. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1982;144:768-73.
- Metzger BE, Lowe LP, Dyer AR, Trimble ER, Chaovarindr U, Coustan DR et al. Hyperglycemia and adverse pregnancy outcomes. N Engl J Med. 2008;358:1991-2002.
- Crowther CA, Hiller JE, Moss JR, McPhee AJ, Jeffries WS, Robinson JS. Effect of treatment of gestational diabetes mellitus on pregnancy outcomes. N Engl J Med. 2005; 352:2477–2486.
- Landon MB, SpongCY, ThomE, Carpenter MW, Ramin SM, Casey B et al. A multicenter, randomized trial of treatment for mild gestational diabetes. N Engl J Med 2009; 361:1339–1348.
- International Association of Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Groups Consensus Panel. International association of diabetes and pregnancy study groups recommendations on the diagnostic and classification of hyperglycemia in pregnancy. Diabetes Care. 2010;33:676–682.
- The World Health Organization guideline 2013. Diagnostic criteria and classification of hyperglycemia first detected in pregnancy. Available: http:// apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/85975/1/WHO_ NMH_MND_13.2_eng.pdf.
- Seshiah V, SahayBK, DasAK, ShahS, Banerjee S, Rao PV, et al. Gestational Diabetes Mellitus- Indian guidelines. J Indian Med Assoc. 2009;107(11):799-802, 804-6
- There are currently no refbacks.