Comparison of Nugent's and Amsel's Criteria in the Diagnosis of Bacterial Vaginosis
Objectives: (1) To confirm clinically suspected cases of Bacterial vaginosis (BV) by Amsel's and Nugent's criteria. (2) To compare Amsel's and Nugent's criteria in the diagnosis of Bacterial vaginosis.
Methods: The study group comprised of 100 patients attending the Gynaecology OPD, King George Hospital, Visakhapatnam, AP, India, with h/o watery foul smelling vaginal discharge who were not on oral/vaginal antibiotics, and were in the age group of 15-45 years. Vaginal discharge was collected from posterior fornix of vagina using vaginal swab.
Results: Out of 100 patients, vaginal pH > 5 in 87 patients, 72 were positive for Whiff test and 84 were positive for clue cells. Percentage of cases positive by Amsel's criteria was 84% and by Nugent's criteria was 92%.
Conclusions: (1) Positivity by Nugent's criteria was high when compared to Amsel's. Hence some cases of BV may not be diagnosed if Amsel's criteria alone is used. (2) BV as a risk factor for premature labour, premature rupture of membranes (PROM), low birth weight (LBW), chorioamnionitis and post partum endometritis is well known. So women with foul smelling, watery discharge should be investigated for BV.
- Koneman's color Atlas and Text book of Diagnostic Microbiology, 6th ed. 2006, Washington C. Winn Jr., Stephen D. Allen MD, Willium M.Janda, Elmer W. Koneman, Gary W. Procop, Paul C. Schreckenberger, Gail L. Woods, publisher Lippincott William & Wilkins, pp 835-6
- Bailey & Scotts Diagnostic Microbiology, 12th ed. Betty A. Forbes, Daniel F.Sahn, Alice S. Weissfeld; Published by Mosby Elsevier 2007, pp 860-7 & 871
- Mackie & Mc Cartney “Practical Medical Microbiology”, Edited by J Gerald Collee, Andrew G. Fraser, Barrie P. Marmion, Anthony Simmons; Published by Churchill Livingstone, 14th ed, 2008 pp 456-8
- Amsel R, Totten PA, Spiegel CA, et al. Non specific Vaginitis. Diagnostic criteria and Microbial and epidemiological associations. Am J Med 1983; 74:14-22.
- Nagaraja P. Antibiotic resistance of Gardenerella vaginalis in recurrent Bacterial vaginosis. Ind J Med Microbiol 2008; 26(2):155-7
- Chawanpaiboon S, Pimol K. Bacterial vaginosis in threatened preterm, preterm and term labour. J Med Assoc Thai 2010; 93(12):1351-5.
- Majeroni BA. Bacterial vaginosis: An update. Family Physician. March 15, 1998; 57; 1285-92.
- Leitich H, Bodner-Adler B, Brunbauer M, Kaider A et al. Bacterial vaginosis as a risk factor for preterm delivery: A meta analysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2003; 189:139-147.
- Nejad VM, Shafaie S. The Association of Bacterial vaginosis and Preterm labour. J Pak Med Assoc 2008; 58:104-6
- Topley & Wilson's Microbiology and Microbial infections: Bacteriology vol 1, edited by S.Peter Borriello, Patrick R. Murray and Guido Funke, 10th edition, published by Hodder Arnold , 2005, pp 665-6
- Madhivanan P, Krupp K, Chandrasekaran V et al. Prevalence and correlates of Bacterial vaginosis among young women of reproductive age in Mysore, India. Indian J Med Microbiol 2008; 26:132-7
- Spear GT, St John E, Zariffard MR. Bacterial vaginosis and human immuno deficiency virus infection. AIDS Research and Therapy 2007; 4:25
- Bhalla P, Kaushika A. Epidemiological and Microbiological correlates of Bacterial vaginosis. Ind J dermatol Venereol Leprol 1994; 60:8-14
- Aggarwal A, Devi P, Jain R. Anaerobes in Bacterial vaginosis. Ind J Med Microbiol 2003; 21:124-6
- Yasodhara P, Raghunath M, Sreeramulu D et al. Local Immunity in Indian women with Bacterial vaginosis. J Rep Immunology 2006; 70(1):133-41
- Sumati AH, Saritha NK. Bacterial vaginosis with special reference to Anaerobes. Ind J Pathol Microbiol 2009; 52:56-8
- Uma S, Balakrishnan P, Murugavel KG, Srikrishnan AK et al. Bacterial vaginosis in women of Low socioeconomic status living in slum areas in Chennai, India. Sexual Health 2006; 3(4):297-8
- Bhalla P, Chawla R, Garg S, Singh MM et al. Prevalence of Bacterial vaginosis among women in Delhi, India. Ind J Med Res 2007; 125:167-72
- Udayalakshmi, Bhat G, Kotigadde S.The significance of secretory immunoglobulin A to Gardenerella vaginalis in the pathogenesis and Diagnosis of bacterial vaginosis. J Clin and Diag Res 2011; 5(4):752-4
- Muvunyi, Mambo C, Hernandes, Carbonell T. Prevalence of Bacterial vaginosis in women with vaginal symptoms in South Province, Rwanda. Afr J Clin Exper Microbiol 2009;10(3):156-163
- Mania-Pramanik J, Kerkar SC, Salvi VS. Bacterial vaginosis: A cause of Infertility? Int J STD AIDS 2009; 20(11):778-781
- Vikas Rao, Deepali Savargaonkar, Anup Anvikar et al "Reproductive tract Infections in Tribal women of Central India" Proceeding of National symphosium on Tribal health,pp 275-7 (<www.rmrct.org/files_rmrc_web/...06/NSTH06_33.VG.Rao.pdf>)
- Udayalakshmi, Bhat G, Kotigadde S, Shenoy S. Comparison of Methods of Diagnosis of Bacterial vaginosis. J Clin and Diag Res 2011; 5(3):498-501.
- There are currently no refbacks.