Open Access Subscription AccessTotal views : 1993
TROXIPIDE: A Novel Cytoprotective Agent in Acid Peptic Disorders
Gastritis and gastric ulcers are highly prevalent diseases among the Asian population. Patients approach for treatment only when disease related symptoms become severe.1 Treatment of gastric ulcers varies depending on the aetiology and clinical presentation. Acid suppression is the general pharmacologic principle of medical management of acute bleeding from a peptic ulcer, using histamine-2 receptor antagonists (H2RAs) and proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) and cytoprotective agents (antacids, sucralfate).2 All these agents are available in intravenous or oral preparations and their efficacy is well established. Gastric defensive factors play a much significant role in gastric disorders so there was a need for drugs to normalise the gastric mucosal constitution and other defensive mediators including cytoprotective prostaglandins and gastric microcirculation.
- Katelaris P.H., Tippett G. H. K., Norbu P., Lowe D. G., Brennan R., and Farthing M. J. G., "Dyspepsia, Helicobacter pylori, and peptic ulcer in a randomly selected population in India," Gut. 1992;33(11): 1462–1466.
- Boparai V, Rajagopalan J, Triadafilopoulos G. Guide to the use of proton pump inhibitors in adult patients. Drugs. 2008;68(7):925-47.
- Mine T, Kataoka A, Fujisaki J et al. Effects of cimetidine and troxipide on gastric mucosal prostaglandin synthesis in patients with chronic gastric ulcer. Curr Ther Res. 1991;50 (6): 878-87.
- Kusugami K, Ina K, Hosokawa T, Kobayashi F, Kusajima H, et al. Troxipide, a novel antiulcer compound, has inhibitory effects on human neutrophil migration and activation induced by various stimulants. Dig Liver Dis. 2000; 32: 305-11.
- Prescribing information, Aplace®, Kyorin Pharmaceutical Co.,Ltd, 2010.
- Hyeoyun et al. Peptic ulcers for the clinical effectiveness of Troxipide. Latest Med. 1989; 32 (3): 125-31.
- Momo K, Hoshina K, Ishibashi Y, Saito T, Preventive effects of troxipide on a newly developed model of acute gastric mucosal lesion (AGML) induced by ischemia/reperfusion plus ammonia in the rat. Nippon Yakurigaku Zasshi, 1994. 104: 313-23.
- Yanan Z, Furong Q, Weiijia W et al. Relative bioavailability and bioequivalance of troxipide capsules in healthy volunteers after a single oral administration. Chinese J Clin Pharmacol. 2000; 19 (6).
- Dewan B, Balasubramanian A. Troxipide in the management of gastritis: a randomized comparative trial in general practice. Gastroenterol Res Pract.2010;758397. doi:10.1155/2010/758397
- Dewan B. A parallel, randomized, comparative, double-blind, double-dummy clinical trial to evaluate the efficacy and safety of Troxipide versus Rabeprazole in the Treatment of Gastritis & Gastric Ulcer. OJGas.2013; doi:10.4236/ojgas.2013.
- Dewan B, Shah D. An Open-Label, Multicenter Post Marketing Study to Assess the Symptomatic Efficacy and Safety of Troxipide [TroxipTM] in the Management of Acid Peptic Disorders in Indian Patients British Journal of Medicine & Medical Research, 2013. 3(4): 1881-1892.
- There are currently no refbacks.